Global Sustainability Summer School 2013
Complex(c)ity – urbanization and energy transitions in a changing climate
The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) and the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS), in partnership with the Santa Fe Institute (SFI), the Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET), the Oxford Martin School (University of Oxford), the Joint Institute for Strategic Energy Analysis (JISEA) and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), call for applications from suitable candidates for the 2013 Global Sustainability Summer School. This event which we shall be holding in Potsdam, Germany for the second time is unique of its kind in Europe. It will bring together young scientists, professionals from governmental and non-governmental agencies as well as the private sector from around the world.
This intense two-week programme explores global sustainability issues from a complex systems perspective with particular focus on urbanization, climate change and sustainable energy supply. Issues addressed will include the following:
- Key issues of urbanization, energy transition and climate change as they could be understood in the complex systems framework
- Transdisciplinary research in the context of urbanization, energy and climate change
- Global urbanization trends and sustainable development
- The role of cities in driving global environmental change
- Feedback loops between cities and climate change
- Energy transition in practice
- Managing urban energy supply; facing climate change; economy, governance and environmental stakeholders
Please note that the topics and format may be changed at any time due to unforeseen delays or other issues.
The summer school will be conducted English.